Shaken Not Stirred

Friday, February 29, 2008

Don't Call Me I'll Call You

Do you know people who call you just to call you? Maybe it's just to use their phone or maybe because the person they really wanted to call didn't answer. I have no idea why these people call. When I stupidly answer they always ask "what are you doing"? Well duh, I'm currently talking to you. I was doing something important, or at least important to me until this very moment. If I wasn't doing anything, I would be sleeping or watching television. However your interuption of my activity means I am now talking to you.

And then once you get on the phone, they have nothing to say and expect you to do all the talking. I think they just call to hear my breathing while they go about their own activity. It's like having a body next to them, without the inconvenience of invading their zone of intimacy. I'm serious, this person calls and then sits there silently and every now will say, "so how's it going". I have already told them when I first answered the phone, "it's going okay, I was ______ until you called". So are they even listening?

Sometimes there is even lulls in the conversation where I say "are you even listening to anything I say"? Definitely a waste of a call. I have no idea why I answer the phone. You would think I would take advantage of the caller i.d. and ignore the call. But like a sucker, I always pick up.

I think picking up has a lot to do with my very own boredom. And it's probably the very reason I will continue to pick up whenever this friend of mine calls.

P.S. It's not you Egg--but it is someone that you know!

12 Comments:

  • Haha. OK, so I admit to being one of those people. But I might it worse by bringing up an old joke we drove into the ground and try to make it funny again.

    The funny thing is... I HATE when people call me for the very same reason. Oh well.

    I never answer the phone now... of course that's because whoever is calling wants money :-P

    By Blogger Jillian, at 12:17 PM  

  • That's where a wife comes in handy. In thuse instances I say Jennifer wants to talk to you and then i chunk her the receiver.

    By Blogger Travis Erwin, at 3:08 PM  

  • I hate talking on the phone. I'm only polite with those kind of calls if it's a girl that I want to have sex with.

    Otherwise I get fairly agitated and answer in barley audible grunts until they get the picture.

    By Blogger Mike, at 4:03 PM  

  • When will they start making phones with a button for that "going through a tunnel" sound?

    By Blogger Gyrobo, at 12:05 AM  

  • Better not be me!!! Hehehe. Why we can't stop talking when we open our mouths. "Normal" people think it's insane the way we carry on over the phone:) Alas I wouldn't want it any other way. Hmm I wonder who it is! Let me know next time we yap.

    By Blogger The Egg, at 4:05 PM  

  • that's why i never talk on the phone if i don't have to. i text everyone. i hate having that thing glued to my ear. lol.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:43 PM  

  • This is a great post Angel Jr! This is the exact reason I have no phone whatsoever!!

    By Blogger Phats, at 12:17 AM  

  • This is the reason I have chosen to only communicate with others through a CB.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 9:55 PM  

  • Caller I.D is so good for this very reason...next time just let it ring : )

    So...what are you doing?

    By Blogger Chick, at 8:21 AM  

  • I hate talking on the phone, unless there is something important to discuss. But just to call and chat, no thanks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:49 AM  

  • There needs to be more people like you in this world.

    By Blogger a girl, at 11:31 PM  

  • I don't know Egg, so I feel less paranoid that it is me, Jun

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home