Shaken Not Stirred

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Impulsive

Many times I think of myself in control. In control of what I'm going to do and how I'm going to do it. More often than not, I do not have control of what I say--as I tend to blurt out what is on my mind (good or bad). But for the most part I am in control.

This is true, except for when I'm on a diet. While I can mainly control myself around food, when I do go on a diet, I feel restricted and there is a little bit of the rebel in me that goes nuts when I allow myself to. I can stick to a diet (or as one of my college buddies once referred to it--eating regimen--because only chicks went on diets). In fact the longest I stayed on one (the Atkins diet) is for about a year.

I did allow myself some cheat days while on Atkins. But on these cheat days I would go nuts. I would eat bags of chips, pizza, loaves of bread and french fries till they literally came out of my ass in whole form. And by midnight I would feel guilty and then strictly go back on the diet again for months on end.

I don't know why I'm writing about this. I'm eating healthy now and not really dieting. Unless you consider restricting fatty fried foods and junk a diet. I am eating more vegetables, more fruit, more nuts and berries. And I'm implementing a lot of wheat and granola (these things help to cleanse the poop pipes). Maybe it's because last weekend, I went nuts at a friend's party--I ate all the things I wasn't suppose to (birthday cake, brownies, fried stuff, carrot cake). The guilt has caused me to eat nothing but granola bars (low sugar) and yogurt since Sunday.

Anyway, just so you know...I passed a pizza place today and didn't peer in for fear of eating a large pepperoni and mushroom. I think I have will power.

12 Comments:

  • Yeah, food is tough because you HAVE TO eat. I try to find pride and strength in being able to deny myself somoething that I want but do not need. That is the key for me.

    By Blogger Rocketstar, at 4:58 PM  

  • I absolutely hate the guilt of eating something sinfully good.

    I'm one of the people that exercises and eats right until I look the way I want to... then I stop. I tend to forget healthy eating and exercising needs to be a lifelong thing.

    By Blogger Jillian, at 2:18 AM  

  • i read somewhere that the secret is to trick yourself into believing you can say no. for example, if you aim really low (i am not going to eat this slice of bread) and achieve your really low goals you trick your mind into believing you can achieve higher goals too (I won't eat that pizza).
    I'm going to let you know whether it works or not.

    By Blogger x, at 3:14 AM  

  • I think you have to cheat every once in a while just to maintain your sanity. I haven't had any fried foods, caffeine or an assortment of other items since Good Friday and I'm about to go nuts. I can't wait until my birthday in a couple weeks when I can indulge in some of stuff that isn't good, but tastes oh so good!

    By Blogger Aaron, at 9:21 AM  

  • Shouldn't it be called won'tpower instead of willpower?

    By Blogger Travis Erwin, at 2:18 PM  

  • I'm learning to get over the guilt - now if I have a little treat I try to enjy it...then hopefully I won't eat my own weight in junk in one crazy day!

    Cxx

    By Blogger Claire, at 1:11 PM  

  • I have never done a diet in my life, I am not sure I could give up Coke or Pizza. Or Ranch dressing haha.

    By Blogger Phats, at 1:39 AM  

  • poop pipes? lmao.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:19 PM  

  • I have a problem controlling my mouth as well. But sometimes ya just gotta say what ya gotta say.

    By Blogger :P fuzzbox, at 9:54 PM  

  • I can't help you I have zero will power. Luckily I always manage to go to the gym but my belly is not getting any smaller!

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 9:15 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Duncan McMurdo, at 10:11 PM  

  • The term 'diet' has been warped beyond recognition by so-called health gurus.

    I have a diet right now. It doesn't come form a book, it doesn't count carbs or restrict me to just meat, bread or anything.

    Originally, a 'diet' is "noun: 1 the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats." (Thank-you AskOxford.com). It has since come to mean restricting or excluding the food you eat.

    So you are on a diet, and it sounds like a good one. More fruit and vegetables, and avoiding junk food, add an active lifestyle... that's all you need. But you're a doctor, you should already know this.

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home