Shaken Not Stirred

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Random Thoughts

I was wondering if anyone still kept a certain personal space around themselves. I know that I have a certain space I keep around myself (around 15 inches or so in diameter), that when violated can cause me to act awkward.

In church one time, a person sat so close, they may as well have been sitting on my lap. It was quite the nightmare for me. Another time, on a plane ride, this guy moved the arm rest up and made himself very comfortable on my seat too. Not only am I afraid to fly (don't get me started on my fear of flying), but now my space has been violated too. I will never forget that flight. I think I wrote about it before. Will have to check again.

Anyway, the reason I started talking about this was because my friend just called me and talked about someone who kept touching her every time he was trying to make a point in conversation. They weren't in a bar (cause then I would tell her that the duded was drunk), they were not friends, they had just met at a conference. Oh wait, in a conference, maybe he was drunk. Point is, he would touch her shoulder, slap her in the arm, point at her chin or put his finger to her forehead. She didn't know what to say except "have you lost muscular control"? And he didn't get it, he just said "why" and then touched her shoulder again.

Why do some people have no idea about this space concept?

8 Comments:

  • I work with this guy that totally invades your space by getting really up close in your face when he is talking to you. I have space issues when it comes to my face... a touch on the arm or something doesn't much bother me... except if you're a total weirdo.

    By Blogger Season, at 7:57 PM  

  • I've found that when seated at my desk, I have personal space issues with folks standing too closely. The key to resolving that, I've found, is to push my seat back from my desk a few inches to break up this breach of security. If that doesn't solve the issue, I normally swing my chair around 180deg to face the person. And if all else fails, I just stand up. I'm only 6'1", but usually taller than most of the folks I have to interact with on a day-to-day basis, so standing up usually puts space between us. That works every time. When it doesn't, I guess I'll take to farting on command or something. :)

    By Blogger Aaron, at 9:40 PM  

  • Sounds like he was hitting on her.

    By Blogger Travis Erwin, at 2:16 PM  

  • This doesn't bother me really, but I can see where it does other people. Now I know not to violate your personal space though haha

    By Blogger Phats, at 5:39 PM  

  • Yeah, it's wierd when people invade your personal space. Indians due to theri culture often are cuplprits. Dot not feather.

    By Blogger Rocketstar, at 10:59 PM  

  • It used to really bother me, until I started riding the subway in Toronto at rush hour. I kind of got over it.

    By Blogger Scott, at 11:52 PM  

  • I dunno. I got slapped on the butt when at the bar. Of course the culprits were friends, so I had to laugh it off:)

    By Blogger The Egg, at 1:38 PM  

  • Touch her forehead??? That's a weird one. (Yeah, I know, they're all a bit weird, but that one is really weird.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home