Shaken Not Stirred

Monday, November 10, 2008

Busy

I've been so busy lately, that I've basically eaten all my meals out or from a drive-thru. So a majority of my salary has gone to tips.

The other day I was eating in a restaurant and I probably had the worse service I have ever had. The waitress never asked me if I wanted a refill on my drink (I had to flag her down three times to ask). She didn't refill the bread basket (no biggie, not a big fan of rolls anyway). Lastly, she only stopped at my table to take my order and drop off the bill. The couple in the table beside mine were also frustrated. The lady had to ask for coffee refills and also ask for sugar (twice).

When the waitress came to my table to drop off my bill, I counted out the exact change for it. I was determined not to leave a tip. However, when I looked up at her face, I could see that she was tired, worn and probably had a bad day. I told her I needed just a second before I would pay. When she left the table, I calculated 20% and then flagged her down to take the bill. I told her I wouldn't be needing any change and smiled.

Because I was so busy myself, I had forgotten that other people could also be pulled in different directions, have a bad day or just fall behind. I hope that she's caught up and maybe having a better day today.

7 Comments:

  • that's awesome man. I am the same way. I usually tip 20% and even when I get crappy service I feel bad giving less than 15% even if they don't deserve it.

    By Blogger Rocketstar, at 9:24 AM  

  • You are kinder than me my friend.

    By Blogger Travis Erwin, at 4:17 PM  

  • I love that you did that - way way cool!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:47 AM  

  • You're nice. I am a good 15%er usually, if the service is great then 20.

    Nutz and I ate out once while I was in college, and our waitress never came for refills, so we did it ourselves, because we were so close to the drink station, I even offered to refill other patrons who were waiting.

    By Blogger Phats, at 12:10 AM  

  • Very nicely done. You never do know what kind of day someone else is having and hopefully you made her day a little better.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 1:26 AM  

  • Way to walk in another person's shoes. I need to learn that lesson myself, my friend.

    By Blogger Jay Noel, at 12:44 PM  

  • If I get bad service i leave 10%, good service 20%. I don't care how there day is, I try to do a good job at my day every time I show up.

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home