Shaken Not Stirred

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

E-Readers

I was browsing in a bookstore yesterday and on display was this e-reader device. I was rather fascinated because this little handheld device (about the size of a trade book) could hold hundreds of books. If you are like me, you are reading several books at the same time. For me I'm reading a medical book, an autobiography about our incoming president and a fun novel. So lugging these all around in my messenger bag can get heavy.

I know, it's an electronic device and there is a correlation between testosterone and electronics. But it really is a fascinating device. Does anyone have this? Is it really that convenient, or will it just gather dust on my shelf after the novelty wears off?

The sales person even used the pitch that having this would be part of the "green" movement. Yeah, it will spare some trees. But there is a part of me that also wants to be able to hold the book too, have a tangible library. And is this the movement of the future? Are we going to be able to borrow books on-line?

I'm going to wait it out...to see if I still want it in a few weeks. It is affordable...but I'm making myself wait and not do an impulse buy. Plus there are a few video games I would like to buy instead.

5 Comments:

  • I agree that the smell and feel of a book... I don't know if I can get over that but the pull of the e book is what you stated.

    You can have many, many books right in your hand and I assume these devices also have search capabilities. You could easily go back to a book you read months or even years ago and find a piece of text, re-read a chapter etc...

    I don't have one but I think eventually, they will catch on.

    By Blogger Rocketstar, at 5:43 PM  

  • My parents have one. You can apparently download hundreds of books onto this little device. But I don't think the selection is as comprehensive as you might want. I don't know if that biography is avaialable or new releases.

    Personally, I want real books around me. I like the look of full bookshelves. Or, as an anoymous saying goes, "A house without books is like a room without windows."

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 9:53 PM  

  • I am vey interested in this, wondering how long it will be before it catches on. I am t he same with you about wanting to have tangible books but the convenience factor really is great.

    I read a review of it by Stephen King and he is really pro "Kindle"

    Let me know what you decide.

    By Blogger Scott, at 11:31 PM  

  • i'm interested to hear more about this too. it's tempting, especially when traveling so as not to pack a suitcase full of books. but then again, the whole fun of reading for me is to actually read, leaf through the book, etc. i don't know how this electronic thing works. i don't like books on tape so is this sorta the same?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:01 PM  

  • Although I've seen them in action and the ability to bookmark, highlight and scribble notes intrigues me -- I'd rather just stick with the tried and true. Call me old school.

    By Blogger Aaron, at 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home