Shaken Not Stirred

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Funny Shaped Ears

I've become more and more frustrated with the earphones of my iPod. They seem to sit funny in my ears, or maybe I'm not wearing them right. In the commercials, the people wearing them seem to be able to move, dance, spin, hop, skip and jump without the buds falling out. Whenever I use mine, I am constantly arranging them so that they stay in my ears. Maybe my ears have some birth defect that others don't seem to have.

I've really never heard any other complaints to the earphones. And in defense of these earphones, they have quality sound. I also don't know how to pick out other earphones. Plus I am a one-stop shopper. I like everything to come in one box...I think that is the way things should work. I wish I could be like my father (or rather afford the things that he can)--he uses Bose earphones with his iPod and iPhone. But I don't have the money and really I don't like shopping all that much. I'm the guy that goes to the Gap, J Crew or Ralph Lauren--where everything can mix and match. Like I said, everything should come in one box. Maybe I'm just lazy. But I really do despise shopping.

So my dilemma is...exercise without music, or continually readjust these earphones to stay in my ears. I know the simple answer is to go out and buy a new pair of earphones (but I'm not that good at selection and I hate asking for directions/advice from salesmen). Maybe I'll ask for a new pair of earphones for Christmas.

11 Comments:

  • Superglue ought to keep the suckers in.

    By Blogger Travis Erwin, at 3:39 PM  

  • sucks. i had a problem with mine too, the pair that came with the ipod. then, when they broke i bought a pair of philips and they are ok. also i had no idea there was a right and a left earphone and finding out which one to stick where made a difference.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:06 AM  

  • That reminds me of a friend with a 30gb iPod video that just up and died. He took it back to the Apple store because it was relatively new. The guy asked him what he was doing with it. My friend replied that the only time he used it was during the morning commute and placed in an arm band when he ran on the treadmill.

    The Apple guy told him he couldn't run on the treadmill with it and that's the reason that it broke. You should have heard my buddy's spectacular rant about people dancing around in videos going flips and spins while holding an iPod. Granted, running on the treadmill was probably the cause of the failure... but after his rant, they gave him a new one and sent him on his way.

    I don't think he takes it to the gym anymore.

    By Blogger Aaron, at 9:01 AM  

  • I don't have a problem with the standard iPod earbuds falling out, but I can't get those stupid "in ear" buds to stay in. You might try those instead, or get some of those that actually have that plastic part that sort of hooks around your ear. I've seen various people complain about the earbuds falling out. They're obviously not one size fits all.

    By Blogger Duck, at 10:08 AM  

  • Maybe you're not moving around enough. The ads, and thus my earphone-wearing behavior, involves one-hand stands, flips, and various other neo-breakdance moves.

    By Blogger David Amulet, at 3:03 PM  

  • oh angel this is a true dilema. i don't have an ipod, but i have this problem too... with keeping things in my ears. for example:I try and put things like my keys or my lunch in my ears so i don't have to carry them, but no matter what i try, nothing stays in there. its completely frustrating!!

    By Blogger cher, at 5:49 PM  

  • I understand about not wanting help from the salesmen. For some strange reason, they always sxtol the virtues of the most expensive item you are looking for, and tell you any reasonably priced item is just going to break or otherwise not perform properly.

    I broke down after my last earphones gave out, due mainly to time, and asked a guy for help. He went for the $70 set, I was looking at the $20 set and we compromised at on a $50 set. But I have to say, I got what I asked for, great sound across the board. The bass is thumpy and the high hat is crisp.

    I also have a problem with the left earbud coming loose all the time. i think it is a design defect and not your ears.

    By Blogger blackcrag, at 11:30 PM  

  • I thought I had deformed ears too...those suckers that came with the iPod didn't even fit into my ears...so I jammed 'em on & they hurt. Got a great pair from Skull Candy...they come in small, medium & large & they sell them in Target...I know it's another stop but they are worth it.

    By Blogger Chick, at 11:39 PM  

  • Yep maybe Santa will bring you something that works. I exercise without music so I probably not the best for advice on this subject. Have a great Thanksgiving.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 12:50 AM  

  • Exercise without them, I couldn't do it. Youmay want to chnage to the headphones and not use earbuds.

    By Blogger Rocketstar, at 4:12 PM  

  • I had the same problem with my earphones on my ipod. My ears are too small and the earbuds kept popping out, especially while I was on the treadmill.
    I got a new pair. The new ones are cool. They have flexible buds and fit inside my ears just perfectly.
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
    ~xo
    Lee Ann

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home