Shaken Not Stirred

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Personal Space

I meant to write about this topic awhile ago, but just forgot and found a notepad that had some blog topics written on it. This was one of them.

I do have my own personal space. I know that in certain situations invasion of this space can't be helped. I know that it will get invaded in crowded areas. Once when riding the subway in New York, not only was it invaded but attacked and defeated (not physically, but by another passener's body odor).

My personal space is just something that I keep. Once I am comfortable with a person, I don't mind that they occasionally picnic there and can even vacation there. However, I don't know why some people chose to invade this space.

In particular, and I am remembering the reason that I wrote this down on the notepad in the first place, personal space should always be observed in the bathroom. Now my space isn't a mansion in square footage, it's only a few inches in diameter. But the incident I'm referring to is one in which I went to urinal in a bathroom and picked one on the far end of the line. The bathroom was empty, but since the movie was over, I knew would fill fast. I was the first in the bathroom and like I said picked the far end urinal. The next gentlemen that came in next (and there were still about eight urinals plus five stalls left) took the urinal right smacking next to mine. I was like WTF?

I didn't wait around to find out why. Just did my business and left.

Who does that? I always take one the furthest away from the next bathroom goer? Or is it just me? Am I paranoid and bitching for no reason? Maybe my personal space is much larger than I thought.

7 Comments:

  • I agree, that dude did not follow urianl etiquette. Maybe he was just f'ing with you.

    By Blogger Rocketstar, at 8:26 PM  

  • awkward, haha. i definitely hate when people encroach on my personal space. call me biased, then, but that dude would have weirded me out too.

    By Blogger j, at 1:13 PM  

  • you should have peed on him

    By Blogger cher, at 6:58 PM  

  • He apparently would have failed this test.

    Urinal Test

    By Blogger Duck, at 12:50 PM  

  • I love this post! Totally agree, it's like at a basketball game 1000 seats open and someone decides to sit right in front, or beside you hello!?

    You watch idol tonight?

    By Blogger Phats, at 10:43 PM  

  • I agree with Cher's advice. That definitely would have given you some more personal space.

    By Blogger Mr. Shife, at 4:03 PM  

  • There is an order to these things, furthest urinal away, farthest spot away in an elevator, furthest seat away on the subway or bus - I follow all these rules.

    By Blogger Big Ben, at 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home